As the First, Do No Harm patient safety campaign comes to an end on 30 June 2016, the Northern Region is continuing its strong focus on safety and improving the healthcare experience by establishing a Patient Safety Network. This Network will take a sector wide approach and has members from DHBs, PHO and Consumer Advocates. The transition from a campaign to a network will ensure the Region will continue working together to improve care in this region. The Network will continue to work closely with the Health Quality and Safety Commission (HQSC) to ensure that national initiatives are implemented within the Region.
By taking a regionally collaborative approach the Network will work to ensure that the patient experience is improved by reducing avoidable healthcare associated harm.
The purpose of the Network is to:
- Promote ongoing reduction of avoidable healthcare associated harm.
- Agree on key patient safety and patient experience areas for regional collaboration and align with national priorities.
- Ensure key metrics to assess patient safety are being monitored in the region and in the sector.
- Promote use of data to drive learning regionally and assess progress on improvement efforts.
- Develop a Northern Region patient safety strategy for the next five years.
- Review current regional patient safety activities and priorities for ongoing work, including opportunities for collaboration.
- Agree on leadership structure, representation on the network – consumers and cross-sector representation.
- Collaborate with HQSC in supporting patient safety programmes.
- Support and overview collaborative activities by regional networks and other groups with a patient safety focus, e.g. Infection Prevention and Control network, Medication Safety network.
Northern Region Patient Safety Network members
Chair and Clinical Lead - Gloria Johnson
HQSC – Karen Orsborn and Iwona Stolarek
Four DHB representatives:
- NDHB - Cristina Rood
- WDHB - David Grayson
- ADHB - Colin McArthur
- CMH - David Hughes
Representative for Primary Care – Campbell Brebner
Consumer Representative – Judith Lunny
Resources that are currently housed on the First, Do No Harm website will continue to be available and secretariat support will be provided to the Patient Safety Network by Northern Regional Alliance. Further information can be obtained by contacting your DHB representative.